Friday, May 05, 2023

Book Review: Lust Killer

Ann Rule, Lust Killer. Berkley, NY: Berkley Books, 2022.   ISBN: 9780593441398.

Genre: true crime
Subgenre: sexual predators, serial killers, reprint
Format: trade paperback'
Source: Berea branch, Madison County (KY) Public Library

 

Note that this 2022 edition is a reprint of a 1988 book. This is the story of Jerry Brudos. On the surface, he was a quiet man, strong yet gentle, and a skilled electrician. His submissive wife appreciated him for being a good provider and father to their children. In reality, he was a monstrous sexual predator out in Oregon. The twist is that his wife was accused of crimes as well. 

This is one of Ann Rule's true crime books. I've read her work before, so I thought I would enjoy this one. To be honest, this book is not that interesting. Brudos is quite the scary predator, but the narrative overall is not that engaging. I picked up the book, read a bit past halfway, then paused. I dragged myself to read the rest. Once Brudos is caught, it becomes a matter of going through the motions of the trial and putting him prison. Once he is in prison, the last act of the book and epilogue consist of the author climbing on her soap box. She clearly is not happy that "life in prison" does not literally mean "for life." I am not happy about the idea a lifer can get out after a few years for "good behavior," but I did not need to read a screed on it. 

On a positive note, Brudos wife, who was really his victim in a way, is acquitted. She divorces him, changes her name, and leaves with the kids to parts unknown. 

Overall, fans of Ann Rule might like this one. More casual true crime readers might not find it as interesting. I feel this may not be one of Rule's better books. I'd consider it optional reading. If you must read it, borrow it as I did. It was just OK. 

2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: