Friday, June 23, 2023

Deck Review: Art Through the Eyes of the Soul Oracle

Cheryl Y. Rose, Art Through the Eyes of the Soul Oracle. Stamford, CT: U.S. Games Systems, 2015.  ISBN: 9781572817227.  (Link to Aeclectic).

Genre: oracle cards
Subgenre: art, Celtic, European
Format: 52 card deck with companion book
Source: I own this one 

 

This deck kit includes 52 cards and a small companion book. The author is a "clairvoyant visionary artist specializing in Spiritual portraiture and Neo-Mythic Art ®" (from description). She works in the Old Master style, which you can see in the cards' art. I first used this deck during April and May 2023.

The companion book is fairly basic, but still informative. The book has a foreword, short instructions on how to use the oracle, and the card meanings. Instructions for using the deck are minimal, encouraging meditation on the images and suggesting single card draws and a three card layout. The book also points out you can use any layout/spread you wish with the deck. Using the deck overall is open ended. 

The card entries include a black and white image of the card, title of the painting on the card with the year it was made, expanded meaning, which adds a bit more to the message on the card, and then the interpretation message. The message can include a description of the art and/or symbols in the image and divinatory meanings. I found the text to be easy to read. The explanations of symbols and the art were interesting, and I learned some new things and ideas. Much of the art and content has a Celtic and European basis. I say this deck and book can be used with a Tarot deck of similar themes. The book gives enough to get you working with the deck. 

The cards on this deck are beautiful. In a time when we see so many decks with computer effects and image manipulation, it is nice to see a deck featuring actual art from paintings. I do like decks with modern art techniques, but it is nice to get a deck made from original oil paintings. In a way, this is like having your own small art gallery as an oracle deck. In addition, the artist is also the author; she wrote the book, so we get a well integrated package. Unlike other art based decks where seemingly random art is imposed on a system, here the meanings and art and integrated throughout. 

Each card is an individual painting. Images are colorful. The colors are subdued, not too bright. This makes it easier to look at the images and reflect upon them. The images show good attention to detail. Art is in a realistic style. It can be very earthy with a bit of an ethereal quality. Any of the images could make a full wall painting. It is high quality art. The art can work well for intuitive readers. I found myself easily responding to the cards. I felt they were good for my intuition. You can easily spend a good amount of time reading and meditating with the cards. 

These are larger cards. The cards measure about 6 inches by 3 1/2 inches. The art has a border in the style of an ornate frame. I think it enhances the overall art, but I can already hear some Tarotistas wanting to trim it. In addition, the cards in this edition have gilded edges, a detail you don't see often anymore especially in mass produced decks. The card stock feels flexible, not too thick, and it has a soft glossy finish. Due to the card size, the deck can be a it difficult to shuffle. Given the size and art, these cards are great for displaying in altars, shelves, etc. 

A note on my edition. I have the U.S. Games Systems edition. According to the book, it is the fourth printing. The deck was first published in 2011; my printing is from 2015. It is out of print. I was lucky to find it second hand at a very affordable price, close to retail or a bit less. As I said, I got lucky. Secondary market now has it priced close to $200 dollars last time I checked. This deck is nice, but I would not suggest paying $200 for it. However, I noticed Llewellyn picked it up, so if you like the deck and its concept, getting it from them is an option. Their edition seems nice, but not as high quality as the one I have. Still, it is an option if you want it at an affordable price at the moment. I may pick up the Llewellyn edition for comparison purposes plus because I like the artist. For the new edition, at this time, $25 and some change is viable for me. 

The book also notes there is a companion deck to the one I have: the Art Through the Starstream Oracle.  It is also out of print, and it does not look like any other publisher has picked it up at this time. You can use both decks together according to the book, but you do not need the second deck to use this one. 

Overall, this is an excellent set. The larger card size does allow us to see the details better. The art is beautiful with depth, and the deck overall is of good quality. I am glad to have it. You can match it with other Celtic and nature themed decks, or you can use it by itself. The card back art is not reversible, but it is nice. 

5 out of 5 stars. 

This deck kit qualifies for the following 2023 Reading Challenge: 



Note: Photo is mine from my copy of the deck.

No comments: