Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Deck Review: Night Sun Tarot

Fabio Listrani, Night Sun Tarot. Torino, Italy: Lo Scarabeo, 2015.  ISBN: 978-8865273043. (Link to Llewellyn, US distributor.)

Ace of Cups
I first used this deck in July 2024. The deck comes in a tuck box with 78 cards and little white book (LWB). It is a Lo Scarabeo deck, so the LWB comes in multiple languages. This time it includes text in English, Italian, Spanish, French, and German. The LWB has 63 pages; the English content has 15 pages. 

The LWB is very basic. It has a 3-page introduction that describes the deck's concept. The introduction tells us the deck draws on symbolic representations inspired by different cultures, "from tribalisms, Goetia, or scared geometries" (4). Aside from that, you do not get much more information. After the introduction you get the card meanings. For the Major Arcana, you get card number, name, element and Hebrew letter, keywords, and a question for meditation. For the Minor Arcana, you get card number and name and keywords. Note that "Court Cards follow the sequence suggested by Crowley, or Page, Queen, King, Knight (rather than the traditional one: Knave, Knight, Queen, King)" (5). I'd say you can read the cards either in Crowley sequence or traditional (Rider Waite Smith, RWS). The court card images will work fine either way. Card meanings draw on Crowley and traditional. The LWB, as I mentioned, is very basic. You get the absolute minimum. Can you read the cards without it? Yes, but I would suggest reading it anyhow. For me, I did get some new insights on some cards. I do wish the deck had a full book given all the esoteric elements on the cards. 

I've been wanting to work with the cards for a while now, but the esoteric elements and some of the art seemed complex to me. So in July I finally decided to just jump in and work with it. Some cards are pip cards, but I found I could read those just fine. My comfort level with pip cards is better by now. I am starting to feel I can try using a Marseilles style or other pip decks. Practice is paying off for me. 

Justice-VIII
Anyhow, the art on this deck is great. It is rich in symbolism. It feels very mystical. The art has a bit of a desolation feel at times. Art is very colorful. In the Minor Arcana, elemental colors predominate. For example, red and orange predominate in the suit of wands. The deck can also feel a bit post-apocalyptic, and it feels like a deck some secret society would use. It is fairly intuitive, but still works if you read in traditional ways like RWS. Please note that a few cards do feature artistic nudity. That is fine by me, but your mileage may vary. 

Cards measure about 4 3/4 inches by 2 1/2 inches. Cards feature a thin gold color border and an outer white border. That works well for me. The card back art is not reversible. The cards have a very soft gloss finish. They shuffle with ease.

Overall, I really like this deck, and I am so glad I got to work with it. I found my initial fears were unfounded. Once I started using it, I found it to be responsive, and I was able to read the cards. It is now a top favorite for me, and I hope to use it again soon. This is one I would get a back  up copy. For me, an essential deck. If you enjoy dark decks and/or decks with a bit of esoterica, you will likely enjoy this one. It has a uniqueness that draws you in. 

5 out of 5 stars.


No comments: