Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Booknote: Norse Mythology (Audiobook edition)

Neil Gaiman, Norse Mythology. New York: Harper Audio, 2017. ISBN: 978-0062834485.

Genre: mythology
Subgenre: Norse mythology, retelling
Format: CD audiobook
Source: Berea branch of the Madison County (KY) Public Library 

It has been a long while since I read Norse myths. So when I saw Neil Gaiman wrote a new telling of the myths, I wanted to read it. Initially, I picked up the print version, but I could not find the time to read it. Recently, I found the audiobook edition. Not only did I read it, but it was an easy and pleasant read.

Neil Gaiman himself reads the book. He has a pleasing, calm voice as a reader. In addition, he performs the text, so he adjusts tone, voice, so on. In some ways, he sounds like some shaman telling stories to a tribe seated around a roaring fire.

The stories are very entertaining. Some are serious, but others are outright funny. The story featuring a cross dressing Thor at a wedding had me laughing. There is a good blend of storytelling and humor in the book.

Overall, I loved this one, and I highly recommend it. If you enjoy audiobooks, and you look for good performers, Gaiman is very good. Once you start, time will just fly by.

5 out of 5 stars.

Qualifies for the following 2020 Reading Challenges:









No comments: