Sunday, March 01, 2020

Reading about the reading life: March 1, 2020 edition

Welcome to another edition of "Reading about the reading life" here at The Itinerant Librarian. This is where I collect stories about reading and the reading life. Basically, these are items related to reading, maybe writing and literacy, that I find interesting and think my four readers might find interesting as well with a little commentary. As with other features I do on this blog, I do it when I have time or feel like it. Comments are always welcome (within reason).



A few interesting things I have been reading.

Bookstores doing interesting things:
In crime and books:

  •  Via Lecturalia (Spanish language), a look at the lucrative trade in pages torn out of old and rare illuminated books
  • Via ABC-15 out of Mesa, Arizona, a man stole over $16,000 worth of rare books. Sounds like some high end antiquarian book thief. Not really. In a story that qualifies as one of the "Signs the Economy is Bad," the man said "he took the books to get money to pay bills since he was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and claims he was given a year to live." Yes, that is the kind of country the U.S. is where people have to turn to crime in an attempt to afford medical care. With luck, he will get treatment in prison.

In other interesting stories I have been reading:




No comments: