Friday, December 18, 2020

Deck Review: Tarot of Vampyres

Ian Daniels, Tarot of Vampyres (book and deck set). Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn, 2010. ISBN: 9780738711911. (link to publisher). 

Genre: cartomancy cards 
Subgenre: Tarot, vampires
Format: 78 card deck and companion paperback book
Source: I own this one.

I finally decided to bring this deck out in time for October and Halloween season in 2020. I am glad I did. This is a deck that can be dark, intense, sensual even plus the kit comes with a great companion book. 

Three of Grails

Let me start with the companion book Phantasmagoria. The book may be geared mainly to the deck, but it has enough good content you may want to keep it handy for Tarot studies in general. Daniels not only goes into vampire lore and culture. He also explores Tarot, symbolism, Kabbalah, a bit of alchemy, astrology, and a few other elements. You get a lot of material to work with here. Book is arranged as follows: 

  • Part I: Phantasmagoria. Includes an introduction, a section about the cards, section about the cards, section with some spreads and exercises, and if you want to see/create/bring to life your vampire portrait, there is a section for that too. This last part is a way to explore your journey with the deck. 
  • Part II: The Cards. You get meanings for Major and Minor Arcana. 

As I mentioned, this book offers a lot. Part I gives some background on vampires, horror, and fear, a bit on shadow and shadow work. As Daniels writes, "The Tarot of Vampyres applies symbolism from the Vampyre myth to illustrate the meaning of traditional Tarot cards" (14). The book certainly succeeds in developing and expanding that symbolism onto Tarot. It also brings in the Zodiac, Kabbalah, and other symbols. If you work with Kabbalah, you'll likely get a lot out of the book and deck. If you do not, you can still work with the book and deck just fine. For me, this set may encourage

The Hermit

me to read a bit on Kabbalah as well as further explore the vampire myths and stories. Sadly though the book lacks a bibliography or a list of suggested works, so you'll have to make your own list for further reading. Despite that, this is a very good resource. 

On a very positive note, the author does not skimp in the Minor Arcana. Both Major and Minor Arcana cards get a full entry with the following elements: 

  • Alchemy
  • Kindred Spirits
  • Essence
  • Message
  • Analysis and Symbolism
  • Shadow (i.e. reversal)

Other companion books give a lot of content for Major Arcana, then just toss a few keywords and phrases for the Minor Arcana. Not this book. Daniels gives the Minor Arcana as good treatment as the Major Arcana. I honestly wish more authors did that for their companion books. 

The book is a good read, but I would not call it an easy read. It can be a bit dense here or there. It certainly provides an immersive experience into vampires and Tarot. If you are one of those Tarot readers that ignores or tosses companion books out because you are an "intuitive reader" and you "don't need no stinkin' book," well, you do you. I would strongly encourage people to read this book and study it as they use the deck. I read through the book once for review, and I kept it handy when I used the deck consulting it as needed or desired. For me, this is a book I know I need to go back to in order to keep learning plus to do some of the exercises. 

Next, let's look at the cards. First, some small but important details: 

  • Major Arcana cards are not numbered. They are not numbered in the book nor in the cards. Daniels does offer a suggested numbering based on the Roman numerals relating to the Tree of Life, but he does add, "if you already use another ordering, employ whichever feels right for you, as the Tarot works through our unique insight and creativity" (30). 
  • I admit that initially lack of numbers in the Major Arcana threw me off a bit. I am very used to Rider Waite Smith (RWS) with Strength-VIII and Justice-XI. As Daniels suggests, you can add your numbering, but I found after a while I could read the cards without worrying too much about numbering. I am thinking lack of numbers in Major Arcana may add an additional element of flexibility for working with the deck. 
  • Minor Arcana suits are: scepters (wands), grails (cups), knives (swords), and skulls (pentacles).
  • Court cards are: lords (kings), queens, princes (knights), and daughters (pages).

The Empress

The art on these cards is dark, beautiful, and often moving. It is a dark deck with dark colors. Red is also often highlighted; it is the color of blood after all. Card characters are expressive and full of emotion. The setting for those characters is rich and detailed. Plus the cards offer plenty of symbolism. Intuitive readers will find they can get a lot out of these cards. If you read in RWS, this deck is not quite that but between that knowledge and the book you should be fine working with this deck. If you like vampires and dark lore, then this is definitely a deck for you. I tend to use decks like this in fall season and around Halloween, but this is certainly a deck you can use year round. I'd say it is also good for shadow work. For me, reading with this deck can be a moving and intense experience. I often see things in a depth I may not get with other decks. This is a deck where you embrace the dark experience, and you let it take you places. When I need a darker deck, this will be one of my top choices. I worked with it for a month, and I know I've barely scratched the surface. This is a deck I'll keep using and exploring further down the road. 

Cards measure 4 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches. Card stock is on the thin side, which is fairly typical for Llewellyn decks. All cards do have a text to identify the cards. 

Overall, this deck kit is excellent. In terms of value and substance, this is one of the best Tarot sets in my collection. I am very glad to own it and look forward to keep using it. It's one of those decks you discover new things with each use, and it does draw you in. I would not label this as a beginner deck, but if you are a beginner and choose this deck, if you put in the work you can work it. It's more for intermediate and advanced cartomancers. I do strongly recommend. 

5 out of 5 stars.


* * * * * 

Additional reading notes:

A bit on fear: 

"It seems that experiencing fear in a safe environment, acknowledging our fears, facing them, and recognizing them, helps us to understand ourselves and to overcome those fears and see them for the illusion that many of them are" (5).

 
Where the deck can help: 

"The Tarot of Vampyres is designed to help us face our fears-- as well as our hopes, passions, and joys-- by reconciling all the energies within ourselves into a balanced whole. The cards represent different elements, emotions, and events-- some happy, some scary-- that we encounter in life" (6).


A lesson from vampires an introvert like me can appreciate: 

"The Vampyre myth also teaches us that times of hibernation and stillness are needed in order to regenerate and realign ourselves with the Everlasting that pervades all of nature. We need time to empty our mind and reconnect with the flow of that source" (9). 


You can work with and read Tarot cards no matter where you stand: 

"We do not need to understand how the Tarot works to use the cards, whether we are scientifically or mystically inclined. The most important thing is that we believe that the cards speak to us on a personal level through our unique feelings and creativity" (39). 

I certainly agree with that, and I often reassure people who come to me for a reading that they too can learn it if they are willing to put in the work and effort. Having said that, for me, studying and seeking to understand how it works also makes me a better reader and cartomancer, plus I keep learning new things.
 
This set qualifies for the following 2020 Reading Challenge: 
 

 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had this deck for 4 years now. My other deck is the Hansen Roberts deck. This deck is amazing! The readings I get from it are very accurate! Love this deck!

A. Rivera said...

@Anon. Glad you enjoy the deck. Thank you for stopping by and checking out the review. Paz y amor.