Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Holiday Post 2023: Books and Reading

Welcome to the third post in my holiday posts series here at The Itinerant Librarian. This is where I look at a few book lists. I try to find what may be interesting, to me at least, and see what I can add to my ever growing TBR list. As I have written before, way I see it these are lists of books that "experts" say I should be reading. The odds are good I have not read them, nor am I in any rush to read them. As my four readers know, I read what I want when I want to read it. This year I've had a bit more of a challenge due to my current boycott of the book publishers and their imprints suing Internet Archive; you can read my boycott statement here. If anything, it has made me a bit more aware of what I read, and I may write a short reflection on the experience later on. 

I also do this post as a bit of reader's advisory. Hey, if I help one or two of my readers to find something good to read I consider that a good thing. As always, I will do my best to avoid any book lists behind a paywall and/or presented in a slides format. 

Let me take a moment to remind my four readers that I will be posting my end of year reading list and report sometime around January 2024. In addition, I will be posting my lists of best books I read and reviewed in nonfiction, fiction, graphic novels and comics, and Tarot and esoterica in early 2024, so stay tuned for those. 


 

 

Big Lists

I do not always pay attention to the usual Big Lists everyone else does, but I know I need to at least acknowledge they exist. So here is a small sampling.

  • The Big A has their lists of best for 2023. They have various lists, but I am highlighting their best nonfiction list given I tend to read more nonfiction. Feel free to check out their other categories if you must. On a side note, I was expecting not to have read a single book from their nonfiction, but it turns out I did read one: The People's Hospital (link to my review).
  • Their competitor, Barnes and Noble, also has their lists. They don't seem to have a nonfiction list, so I am going with their best history for the highlight. I have not read a single book from that list. To be honest, I have not done any shopping at a Barnes and Noble in years now. Part of it is because they seem more a gift store than a bookstore, and part of it is I am just not buying as many books in print, and when I do, I just go over to Half Price Books and get something secondhand, but that is another story.
     


 Lists from Newspapers, Magazines, and other Periodicals

These are in no particular order. 

 

Lists by genre

Let's have a look at some more specific lists.  Again, in no particular order.

 

 Some miscellaneous lists for fun

Finally for this post, here are some lists in curious categories. These are lists that we may not see very often and/or on topics we may not consider much. 

  • OK, African American history and literature is not just a curious category, but since this is not a major list, I am linking to it here. From the AAIHS (African American Intellectual History Society) blog Black Perspectives here is a list of the best Black history books for 2023. There may be one or two on this list we need to order for our library. 
  • Brittle Paper has their list of 100 African notable booksAnansi's Gold, which I mentioned above, is on this list. The list seems a bit heavy on fiction, but there is a variety in fiction types. A book from the list I find interesting and possible for my TBR list is in nonfiction:
    • Black Ghosts: Encounters with the Africans Changing China. From the book description: "The travel memoir of a Nigerian woman in China exploring the intersections and divides between the two cultures and the lives of African economic migrants in the bustling People's Republic." This could be one to order for our library as well.
  • Autostraddle offers a list of 65 Best Queer Books. Their list is divided into categories including graphic novels and comics, fantasy, and nonfiction among others. Odds are you can find something you like here. 
  • Want Sapphic books? The Lesbrary has a list.  
  • Mombian, a resource for lesbian moms, has a list of best books for LGBTQ parents, prospective parents, and parents of LGBTQ kids.
  • Creative Loafing has a list of best Florida books
  • Cookbooks? There are a few lists of cookbooks such as: 
    • Epicurious offers their best of the year.
    • Forks over Knives has a small list of vegan books. Some of them are cookbooks; others are about veganism in general. 
    • The Gamer has the best video game cookbooks. These are books based on a video game, and they could be a good gift for the gamer in your life. 
  • The team at The Art Newspaper chose their top art books of the year. 
  • One of these years I need to see if I can talk our library staff here to pick out a favorite book for a year and then post a year's best or a year's favorites or such on our blog. Until that happens, here are some other library lists: 
  • Photo-Eye has a list of their favorite photography books.  
  • Need some humor? Vulture presents their best and funniest books of 2023.
  • Enjoy reading books in translation? I can read fluently in Spanish just fine, but for the rest of the world, I may need a little help. I know I do enjoy reading a translated work once in a while. World Literature Today has a list of 75 Notable Translations for 2023.
  • For folks who read on audiobooks, here is AudioFile Magazine's best of 2023 list.
  • Literary Hub has a list for the Lefties in your life, a little Marxism and Mistletoe.
  • Want business books? Five Books talks to Andrew Hill of the Financial Times on the five books that made FT's Business Book of the Year short list.  
  • Bookshop.org has their list of top selling indie books for 2023. Now finding these kind of books in one place is not always easy, so I hope some folks find this list helpful. 
  • Broke By Books has their list of 15 New Christmas Romance Books for 2023
  • OK, this link is just for amusement. Literary Hub has put together a list of the most scathing book reviews of 2023. If you want to read some reviewers ripping a new one to books like Eli Cologne's new biography, keep reading. 
  • Want more bad books? Open Letters Review looks at the worst fiction books of 2023.

 

 

 

No comments: