Monday, January 16, 2017

Once again, working to keep my Netgalley/Edelweiss reads under control

I have been doing the Netgalley/Edelweiss Reading Challenge since 2014. I find it a good way to keep me motivated to make sure I read the things I request and get approved for in those services. So, I am jumping once more. As I have mentioned before, I am keeping my commitments on the low side given the bad circumstances of 2016, which I am sure may extend into 2017. I will upgrade as I see necessary, but I am staying cautious. I noticed this year we have a new host. Falling For YA had the torch, and this  year it  has been passed to Bookish Things and More.

So, here we go. Some of the details:

  • Challenge runs January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017. 
  • As long as it comes from Netgalley or Edelweiss, it counts. 
  • There is a hashtag, which I hope I will remember to use, but possible I will forget once or twice. Anyhow, the hashtag is #NGEW2017. 

If you wish to sign up or want to learn  more, here is the link to the sign up page:



I am committing to the following challenge level: 

Bronze = 10 books read and reviewed.  

We will see how it goes. As I usually do, I will be adding the books to the list as I read them.

List of books read for this challenge:

  1. Jimmy Palmiotti, Harley Quinn and her Gang of Harleys.
  2. Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, Harley Quinn, Volume 1: Die Laughing (DC Universe Rebirth). 
  3. Artisan Books, Why We March
  4. Eileen Kaur Alden, et.al., Super Sikh, Issue 1
  5. Scott Martin, Bringing the Tarot to Life
  6. Yoav Ben-Dov, The Marseille Tarot Revealed
  7. Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine,  Divinity III: Stalinverse
  8. Leeza Robertson, Tarot Court Cards for Beginners
  9. Cullen Bunn, Battlestar Galactica: Folly of the Gods
  10. Roger Langridge, Betty Boop
  11. Gerard Way, Doom Patrol, Volume 1
  12. Sara Vaugh, Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love.  
  13. Andy Diggle, James Bond: Hammerhead
  14. Melissa Cynova, Kitchen Table Tarot
  15. David Gonzales and Elliot Serrano, Homies
  16. Matt Kindt, X-O Manowar, Volume 1: Soldier.
  17. David Liss, et.al., Green Hornet: Reign of the Demon.
  18. Jason Gruhl, The Fountain Tarot Guidebook.
  19. Eileen Kaur Alden, et.al., Super Sikh, Issue 2
  20. Matt Kindt, X-O Manowar, Volume 2

Update note (July 14, 2017): With  Doom Patrol, Volume 1, I complete my initial challenge commitment.  It's 25 books to the next level, and I  think I can do 14 more before the year ends, so I am going to upgrade my commitment as follows:

Silver = 25 books read and reviewed. 



2 comments:

Susan Bernardo said...

Hello! I am an author about to put my new picture book The Big Adventures of Tiny House up on either Edelweiss or NetGalley. I have heard good and bad about both sites, and I am trying to get more opinions, especially from librarians.

Do you have a preference, or do you consistently use both sites? Where would children's librarians be more more likely to seek out new picture books to add to their collection?

Thanks so much for your help!

xoxo Susan

A. Rivera said...

Susan:

I use both, but I tend to use and prefer NetGalley more. The site is, for us reviewers, a lot more organized and easier to use and find things. I often browse it to find new things to review,and it is much more user friendly than Edelweiss. I also get the impression NetGalley is just better known (or at least wider use), but that is personal observation.

Best.