Thursday, February 19, 2015

Adding the Manga/Graphic Novels/Video Game (MGV) Challenge 2015

I sort of forgot, or rather did not pay much attention, to notice this challenge was also going on. I did it last year, and I completed it with a comfortable margin. So, will I be able to do it again this year? What I like about this challenge, besides the fact it deals in graphic novels and mangas, is that it also deals in video game novels. You know the ones. The ones no one admits to reading, but you know someone is reading because they sell. I do read one or two of those. In fact, I have a couple of Warhammer 40,000 books in the TBR pile, so if I get to them this year, I can add them to this challenge too. So, I am signing up now to catch up, and I think I will be OK since I can cross items from my other graphic novels challenge I am doing this year. So, without further fuss,

The 2015 Manga/Graphic Novels/Video Game Novels Challenge

Mother Gamer Writer


You can click the link above to get the full details of the rules. Some highlights:

  • This challenge will run from January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015. You can sign up at any time. (Good thing late sign ups are acceptable). 
  • Any book counts as long as it fits into one of the 3 chosen categories: Manga (all types of comic books are acceptable), Graphic Novels, Video Game Based Novels (Such as books based off of Warhammer, World of Warcraft, HALO, Mass Effect, Dungeons and Dragons, etc).
As I usually do in these challenges, I will be adding titles to the list as I read them. I will add the links to the reviews as I post them. This year I will commit to the following level:

  • Level 4 Call of Duty – Veteran Player
    • Read a total of 35 – 45 books.


I did the highest level last year, but since life has a way of happening, I am giving myself some leeway. Naturally, if I do better, I will upgrade accordingly. 

List of books read and reviewed for this challenge:

  1. Matt Smith and Carl Critchlow, Judge Dredd: Anderson, Psi Division
  2. Chris Metzen, Transformers: Primacy
  3. Vic Malhotra, X-Files: Year Zero.
  4. Scott Snyder, American Vampire, Volume 5
  5. Kennedy Xu, Daomu
  6. Juzo Tokoro, Spawn: Shadows of Spawn, Volume 2
  7. Juzo Tokoro, Spawn: Shadows of Spawn, Volume 3
  8. Alex Ross, et.al, The Six Million Dollar Man, Season 6
  9. Scott Snyder, American Vampire, Volume 7
  10. Ryan Burton, et.al., Dark Engine, Volume 1: The Art of Destruction
  11. Erik Burnham, et.al., Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters
  12. Bob Budiansky, et.al., The Transformers Classics, Volume 4
  13. John Arcudi, The Mask.
  14. Paco Ignacio Taibo II, Pancho Villa Takes Zacatecas
  15. Kevin Smith, et.al., Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet
  16. W. Haden Blackman, Darth Vader and the Lost Command
  17. Various authors, Predator Omnibus, Volume 1
  18. Geoff Johns, Batman: Earth One, Volume 2.
  19. Steve McNiven and Charles Soule, Death of Wolverine.
  20. Mark Millar and Frank Quitely, Jupiter's Legacy Volume 1.
  21. Scott Snyder, Batman, Volume 6: Graveyard Shift.
  22. Becky Cloonan, et.al., Gotham Academy, Volume 1
  23. Si Spencer, et.al., Bodies
  24. Jeff Parker, et.al., Flash Gordon Omnibus.
  25. Tony S. Daniel, et.al., Deathstroke, Volume 1
  26. Francis Manapul and Brian Bucellato, Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 6.
  27. Tim Seeley, et.al., Grayson, Volume 1.
  28. Cameron Stewart, et.al., Batgirl, Volume 1.
  29. Mark Millar, MPH.
  30. Shane McCarthy, Transformers: Drift-Empire of Stone.
  31. Michael Uslan, Justice, Inc.
  32. Robert Lazaro, Robert Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy
  33. Steve Niles and Damien Worm, October Faction, Volume 1.
  34. Scott Snyder, et.al., Batman Eternal, Volume 2.
  35. Mairghread Scott, et.al., Transformers: Combiner Wars.
  36. Jim Davis, Garfield: The Big Cheese.
  37. Michael Bendis, Age of Ultron
  38. Corina Sara Bechko, Heathentown.
  39. Fred Van Lente, et.al., Hulk: Season One.
  40. Vassilis Gogtzilas, The Bigger Bang.
  41. Max Dunbar, Dungeons and Dragons: Legends of Baldur's Gate, Volume 1.
  42. Jimmy Palmiotti, et.al., Harley Quinn, Volume 2: Power Outage
  43. Shawn Kittelsen, Mortal Kombat X, Volume 1: Blood Ties.
  44. Bryan Lynch, Monster Motors
  45. Boaz Lavie, et.al., The Divine
  46. Rob Anderson, Creature Cops: Special Varmints Unit.
  47. Jinsei Kataoka and Kazuma Kondou, Deadman Wonderland, Volume 2.
  48. John Lewis, et.al., March: Book Two.
  49. Gerry Duggan, Arkham Manor.

Update Note (11/6/15): I have completed the initial challenge commitment. With 49 books, I can upgrade the challenge level to:
  • Level 5 HALO Style – Legendary Player
    • Read a total of 45 – 55 books. 

With 49 books, the challenge is complete for 2015. I have a few more reviews scheduled, which I will try to add to the list before the year ends. 

No comments: