Saturday, January 18, 2014

Oh look, another graphic novels and manga challenge for 2014

This book reading challenge, which I understand is in its 7th year (how I missed it before is beyond me), seems to make good sense to me given that I enjoy reading graphic novels and mangas. It will go along well with the other challenge in this genre/format I am undertaking for 2014. So I am going for it.




The basics (click on the link above for the full details):

  • Runs from January 1 to December 31, 2014. 
  • I do not see any restrictions on crossing challenges, so I figure I can count items on this challenge and the other one I am undertaking in this genre/format.
  • "What counts:  graphic novels, collected trade editions, manga, comic strip collections, comic books. In print or digital. Anything else you feel is suitable.  My criteria is if it has either frames OR speech bubbles it counts."
There are three challenge levels. I am going to pick the second level, which given how I read, I believe is realistic. If I read more, I will upgrade accordingly.

Bronze Age: read and review 24 books during the year (Can you handle 2 books a month?) [I think I can.]


I will be adding books to the list as I go along rather than making a list ahead of time. As I said in the other challenge, I will try to add a few more mangas, but I will just take it a step at a time. 


List of books read for this challenge: 

  1.  Scott Lobdell, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Vol. 3: Death of the Family. (review)
  2. Kyle Higgins, NightWing, Vol. 3: Death of the Family. (review)
  3. Brian Wood, Mara. (review)
  4. Jim Butcher and Mark Powers, Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin (review)
  5. Kenny Byerly, et.al., Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: New Animated Adventures, Vol. 1. (review)
  6. Stephen Mooney, Half Past Danger. (review)
  7. Box Brown, Andre the Giant: Life and Legend (review)
  8. Mark Rahner, Dejah Thoris and the Green Men of Mars, Vol. 1 (review). 
  9. Cullen Bunn, Helheim, Vol. 1: The Witch War (review).   
  10. Sylvain Cordurie, Sherlock Holmes and the Vampires of London (review). 
  11. Gene Luen Yang, The Shadow Hero (review). 
  12. Chris Roberson, The Shadow, Vol. 3 (review).  
  13. John Lewis, et.al., March, Book One. (review).
  14. Gail Simone, Red Sonja, Vol. 1: Queen of Plagues. (review).
  15. Robert Kirkman, The Walking Dead, Book 9 (hardcover)(review)
  16. Mark Waid, Rocketeer/The Spirit: Pulp Friction (review). 
  17. Mac Walters, Mass Effect: Foundation, Volume 1 (review). 
  18. Ed Brisson and John Christmas, Sheltered, Volume 1 (review). 
  19. Joe Brusha, Grimm Fairy Tales: Realm Knights (review). 
  20. Jai Nitz, Dream Thief, Volume 1 (review). 
  21. Mike Richardson, 47 Ronin (review). 
  22. Simon Oliver, FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics, Volume 1 (review). 
  23. Phil Jimenez, et.al., Transformers: Dark Cybertron, Volume 1 (review). 
  24. Dan Christensen, Archer Coe (review). 
  25. Michael Uslan, The Shadow/Green Hornet Volume 1: Dark Nights (review). 
  26. Ales Kot, Zero, Volume 1: An Emergency (review).
  27. Peter V. Brett, Red Sonja: Unchained (review). 
  28. Jeff Lemire, Green Arrow, Volume 4: The Kill Machine (review). 
  29. Peter David, Wolverine Classic, Volume 3 (review coming soon). 
  30. Scott Snyder, American Vampire, Volume 6 (review). 
  31. Matz, The Killer, Volume 4: Unfair Competition (review). 
  32. Scott Snyder, Batman, Volume 4: Zero Year- Secret City (review). 
  33. Joe Brusha, Grimm Fairy Tales: Oz (review). 
  34. Joe Harris, The X-Files, Season 10, Volume 2 (review). 
  35. Karl Bollers, et.al., Watson and Holmes: A Study in Black.
  36. James Stokoe, Wonton Soup (review). 
  37. Greg Pak, et.al., Batman/Superman, Vol. 1: Cross World
  38. Paul Dini, Black Canary and Zatanna; Bloodspell
  39. Caitlin Kittredge and Inaki Miranda, Coffin Hill, Vol. 1: Forest of the Night
  40. Chris Roberson and Jonathan Lau, Codename: Action, Volume 1
  41. Kyle Higgins, Nightwing, Volume 4: Second City
  42. Peter Tomasi, et.al., Batman and Robin, Vol. 4: Requiem For Damian
  43. Jeff Kline, Indestructible, Volume 1
  44. Scott Snyder, et.al., Joker: Death of the Family
  45. J. Michael Strackzynski, Superman: Earth One
  46. Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples, Saga, Volume 3.
  47. Max Brooks, The Harlem Hellfighters
  48. Mike Mignola, Hellboy in Hell, Vol. 1: the Descent
  49. Sean Phillips, et.al., The Heart of the Beast
  50. Eric Hobbs, Family Ties: An Alaskan Crime Drama
  51. Paul Allor, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Utrom Empire
  52. Ruth Ashby, The Great American Documents, Volume 1: 1620-1830
  53. Marc Andreyko, The Illegitimates
  54. Jeff Parker, et.al., Batman '66, Volume 1
  55. David Gerrold, et.al., Star Trek: the Manga Ultimate Edition
  56. Grant Morrison, Damian: Son of Batman

Update note at end of challenge (12/19/14):

We made it to the end. Well, the year is not quite over yet, but I am wrapping the challenges a bit early so I can do other writing as the year ends. This challenge crossed titles with the other challenge I undertook for this genre and format, so the result is fairly similar. I did read more for it than I listed, but I was not able to get the reviews written up for the blog on time. I will review the items I read but was not able to add to this list later, so stay tuned for that. Since I read and reviewed 53 items, it means I can also upgrade the challenge goal. So the new goal, which I have met is:


Silver Age: read and review 52 books during the year (Are you up to a book a week!)

Actually, I may not have always read one book a week, but I would read two graphic novels a week or more, then not read any in a week. So in the end things were in balance.  As in the other challenge, a lot of the titles here came via NetGalley. I did also get a few from my local public library.

As I have done before, this is the list of books that I wanted to have for the challenge, but I was not able to review. I do have notes on them in my journal, so you will find posts on them in my blog down the road:

  • Jonathan Hickman, East of West, Volume 1: The Promise
  • Jacques Lob, Snowpiercer, Volume 1: The Escape
  • Scott Snyder, et.al., American Vampire, Volume 4
  • Osamu Tezuka, Adolf, Volume 1: A Tale of the Twentieth Century
  • Osamu Tezuka, Adolf, Volume 2: An Exile in Japan
  • Osamu Tezuka, Adolf, Volume 3: The Half-Aryan
  • Jim Davis, Garfield Gets in a Pickle
  • Ed Pinskor, Hip Hop Family Tree (Volume 1). 

These will all be listed in my end of year reading post, so stay tuned for that one. This challenge has been issued for 2015, and you can rest assured I will be signing up for it. Details coming soon as well.

Happy reading!

3 comments:

Nikki in Niagara said...

Welcome to the Challenge Angel! Oh, you've got some great books read so far! I can tell I'm going to love your tastes! I absolutely cannot wait to get Andre the Giant ...

She (5eyedbookworm) said...

Hi, Angel! Hope you have fun in this challenge. I've finished reading Watchmen a couple of days ago. Really looking forward to reading your reviews!

A. Rivera said...

Nicola: Greetings and thanks for stopping by. A good number of the titles I will read for this come via NetGalley. However, I am hoping to get a few "classic" or just things I have on the TBR. The Andre the Giant review is written, coming soon. Stay tuned.

She: Greetings as well and thanks for stopping by. Are you reviewing Watchmen? I read it a while back, and I still remember my "wow" reaction after I finished it. If you liked Watchmen, you may consider the new series "Before Watchmen" from DC (yea, they did prequels. The mileage varies on each volume, but may be of interest). I did review them on the blog if that interests you.

Looking forward to your reviews as well folks. Best, and keep on blogging.